Even if you’re doing something you love, managing a business can get so stressful at times that you’ll want to throw in the towel.
Being stressed out is not only bad for your health, it’s bad for business. It can be difficult to think clearly and make the best decisions for your company when you have a headache, are extraordinarily anxious, or are tired from staying awake worrying all night. Stress can also make you short-tempered, which can negatively impact your relationships with employees, business partners, and customers.
With a little conscientious effort, though, you can keep stress under control and operate optimally in situations that would crush your competitors.
Tips for Managing Stress
1. Think positively. Positive thinking and self-talk can improve mental health and help you develop better coping skills.
2. Get regular exercise. The release of norepinephrine that occurs when participating in physical activity immediately elevates your mood and even reverses some of the cognitive damage stress causes.
3. Take control of your time and energy by learning to say “No”.
4. Practice relaxation techniques such as meditation or breathing exercises.
5. Recover from stressful events by getting enough sleep.